Chickpea Lentil Salad With Herbs
This is a beautifully fresh salad and can be adjusted to your own taste. I used mint and parsley as my herbs however if you’re not a fan of these, you could try dill or coriander – any herbs that you like! Quantities are all rough guides and made roughly 3 servings.
• ½ – 1 cup of green lentils
• 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 2 – 3 radishes, thinly sliced
• Handful flat leaf parsley
• Handful mint leaves
• 2 cloves of garlic, quartered
• Olive oil
• Sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
• Broccoli florets, finely sliced
• ½ an avocado
• Juice of ½ a lemon
• 1 tspn dijon mustard
• Salt and pepper
• ½ tspn honey
• 2 tpsn olive oil
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add lentils with 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and quartered and 2 tbspn olive oil then reduce to a simmer for 5 – 10 minutes. Keep a close eye on this as you don’t want to overcook the lentils – they should be soft yet still firm.
2. Drain can of chickpeas and rinse and then transfer to a pan with olive oil and garlic pieces from the lentils. Cook in pan for a couple of minutes until warm and sprinkle with Moroccan seasoning (optional).
3. Transfer to a bowl with lentils.
4. Then add the radishes, sundried tomatoes, broccoli, pepitas, avocado, parsley and mint. Quantities can be at your own discretion. Particularly with mint and parsley as these are quite strong flavours therefore adjust to your taste. Alternatively, you can add any of your salad favourites!
5. For the dressing, juice half a lemon and add it to 2tbspn of olive oil, salt and pepper, 1 tspn dijonnaise mustard and 1/2tspn honey. Mix together well.
6. Dish out desired quantity of salad and add dressing.